Thursday, June 23, 2011

Etsy Find ~ Posh Bridal Couture

This week I found some amazing, beautiful wedding garters on Etsy.  Which got me thinking about the history of garters (I apologize for the nerd moment here):  The wedding tradition for wearing a garter under your dress began in Europe.  With the tradition today, the groom removes his wife's garter and then tosses it to the single male guests.  According to a superstition, the man who catches the garter will be the next man to get married.  Historically the tradition occurred because it is thought that taking a piece of the bride's wedding day outfit would being good luck.  The custom became a game of sorts as the guests would try to help the bride get out of her wedding day outfit (they accompanied the couple into their room to witness the consummation of the marriage... ummm seriously??)  and grab the garter for good luck.  Since the bride often got hurt or her clothes destroyed and people developed some sense of modesty and privacy, the tradition became what it is today.

Okay, so enough of a history lesson for today and on the goodies :)  I found Posh Bridal Couture and just love the delicate style of their garters.  They use lace, flowers and brooches to make beautiful bridal accessories. 

 
Love the feathers!  So pretty and unique.

Lady Olivier
Not up for the traditional garter? This black one would be a fun alternative!

One of my favorites!

Perfectly simple with just white floral lace.


This would make a great 'something blue'.

Aren't these all so beautiful?  Be sure to check out Posh Bridal Couture's Etsy shop for more garter selections.  (They also offer headbands and wedding sashes)

13 comments:

  1. Too bad I didn't get to wear one for my wedding :( Maybe this is why none of my hubby's friends are married yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! It's always good to know why we do some of the things we do today in wedding traditions. Thanks for sharing. I like the new tradition too. The Marie antoinnette is very pretty:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the "Juliet" one. Nice to have some different options. When I got married it was so hard to find a nice one anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the Marie Antoinette one. sexy and classy

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just my style! Lovely, delicate and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who knew garters could be so beautiful!? I really love the black one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these thicker lace garters. I made mine and I made it look similar to these! My favorite is the Mauvey one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful blog :)
    I'd be happy if you check out my blog and follow if you like. xx

    soundofsweetlullabies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. i need to get a garter for my friend who is getting married, and i think a beautiful classy one like one of these would be beautiful!
    thanks for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't use this seller on Etsy. They sent me a garter belt in the wrong color and have ignored all attempts and returning and refunding my order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry this happened to you.
      I never received an email from you in regards to this issue. I would be happy to refund you.
      What is your name so i may look this order up in my paypal. Only The only trouble is that I was never on etsy in September or October. I left Etsy in August. So i'm a little unsure who you are.

      Warmest Regards,
      Emily Riggs
      www.emilyriggsbridal.com

      Delete
  11. I'm sorry this happened to you.
    I never received an email from you in regards to this issue. I would be happy to refund you.
    What is your name so i may look this order up in my paypal. Only The only trouble is that I was never on etsy in September or October. I left Etsy in August. So i'm a little unsure who you are.

    Warmest Regards,
    Emily Riggs
    www.emilyriggsbridal.com

    ReplyDelete