Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Semi-Guest Post (from the other half of SOSN) - Personalized Wedding Signs

It dawned on me the other week that our blog has been up and running for over 9 months now and I had yet to write a post.  Ok, actually it was really my sister pointing that out to me and asking if I would write a guest post.  I guess it’s only fair since I am the other half of Something Old, Something New. But let me be clear – I am not a writer, I have never blogged before (although I have enjoyed checking out many of our followers’ blogs!). Now that I’ve set your expectations at the right level, enjoy!

This fall will be the 5 year anniversary of my wedding. In 2006, I married my best friend, had a blast at our wedding and then decided I wanted to do it over, and over, and over again. The result? Something Old, Something New. While working with many brides over the last few years, I absolutely love helping them put together the details that will make up their perfect day. 

One idea (had I thought about this 5 years ago, I would have definitely incorporated this into my wedding) is personalized signs and letter cutouts. Earlier this year, I came across Go Jump in a Lake on Etsy. I absolutely love the rustic nature of their signs and even better, they are local vendors working in North Georgia!  My sister has talked about when she gets married one day, it would probably be at lake where our parents live – how perfect would some of these signs be for an outdoor wedding at the lake??



I especially love these and the idea of incorporating tea light candles with the signs. A great way to create a nice atmosphere as the sun begins to set at an outdoor cocktail hour or reception.



Or, if you have a lot of guests coming from out of town, this DIY sign is perfect (featured previously on our blog).  This sign is so fun and your guests will love being welcomed this way.

If your ceremony and reception are at the same location but spread out a bit, you can do a sign like this one below.  Not only is this a fun detail to add to your wedding decor but it will also help direct guests to the right place.

If a large wooden sign isn’t your thing, how about Mr. & Mrs. Signs, to hang on a wall in the reception, on the Bride and Groom’s chair, or really anywhere? 



Or at a minimum, signs and letters are a great way to create some fun, unique pictures on your wedding day. Here is a favorite photo of mine from one of my friends’ wedding a couple of years ago. If only I had a picture like this from my wedding day!


I’m sure I could find many, many more examples to share but hopefully you get the point. Overall, I think a personalized sign is a great to add a unique touch to any wedding. It could even make a great wedding gift for a close friend or family member!

7 comments:

  1. great guest post!! You did a great job!! and welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love DIY signs - I am going to try to force my fiance to make one for our wedding, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the idea for tea-lights with the signs. Maybe you don't see yourself a writer, but you can definitely make an interesting post so I'd say: go on with those 'guest posts';)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhh. Love the signs with the votives. So romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great first post. Way better than my first! I totally agree on the sign love. So many wonderful touches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's not to love about rustic signs? xoxo, chrissy

    ReplyDelete